According to the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, Americans spend more time researching car purchases, TVs or new appliances than they do choosing doctors, insurance plans and health care services.
The purpose of the observance of “National Wise Health Care Consumer Month” is to help inform people enough to make smart and educated decisions as well as empower them to communicate better with their current or future health care providers.
As a Licensed Home Health Care Provider as well as a Fiscal Intermediary for the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program of NY, we compiled the following tips to be sure you’re making the best choice for your home health care:
- What is home health care? Consult an expert in the field about all your home care options – ElderLaw attorneys, hospital care managers or even your own PCP (or even better, if your know someone who works in home care!)
- Take your time in selecting a provider – do some research, shop around and consult online reviews and website information – even make yourself a chart of pros/cons
- Don’t allow yourself to feel “stuck” with your current provider – you have the right to change home care agencies as it becomes necessary for you
- Understand all your responsibilities as a patient or patient POA – obtain and read all consent forms provided upon admission
- Write down your questions and voice your concerns when speaking with a potential new agency – use that feedback to evaluate if they’ll be the right provider for your needs
- Know your health insurance plan or Medicaid benefits
- Don’t forget to take care of your mental health just as you would your physical health – consult blogs or tips/tools from vetted providers
- Keep a list of all of your physicians and medications handy so family or assigned paraprofessionals can assist when necessary
We would love to help you get started on your informed home health care journey. Should you have any questions, please feel free to give one of our experts a call at 866-720-0124 or visit our website http://www.premierhomehealthcare.com/ for tools/tips and more information.