Mother’s Day is approaching quickly, which means it is time to start planning! It’s fun to remember the ease of creating Mother’s Day gifts from our childhood; colored macaroni jewelry, illegible handmade cards, hand and footprint art, a breakfast of cold cereal you delivered to her in bed, etc! Now, even though you are probably still doing those crafts for her with the grandchildren, you are also responsible for coming up with a more mature gift that still shows how much you love and appreciate her! It can be hard to come up with a unique gift year after year so here are a few ideas to help you honor your senior mother on this special day.
Top 5 Things To Do With Your Senior Mother
There is often no better gift than your time! Spending quality time with your mom can be very fulfilling for you both and truthfully means the world to her. Here are our top 5 ideas:
- Brunch: A popular yet timeless choice! Just be sure to make a reservation in advance!
- Picnic in the park: The only thing better than spending time together is spending time together in the fresh air with a lovely array of her favorite fresh foods! Be sure to bring her a comfy seat!
- Cooking/Baking class: A really fun way to spend time together learning something new about something everyone loves: food!
- Spa Day: Even if this just means a relaxing manicure/pedicure together – everyone loves to get rubbed! And it’s likely that your mom, especially if mobility is an issue for her, hasn’t done this for herself in a long time.
- Tickets: Anywhere that you know she’ll love! Broadway, movies, museum, etc.
If you live long distance from your mom or happen to be alternating holiday visits with your spouse’s family, consider using video technology through Facebook or other smart devices to communicate. Seeing one another’s faces is much more special than a phone call. If you’re not sure your mom has the ability to navigate the video technology, ask a family member or friend who does live nearby to help out.
Additionally, if you are long distance or you’d just prefer to give a gift on Mother’s Day, here are our top 5 gift ideas:
Top 5 Gift Ideas For Your Senior Mother
Think thoughtful, yet practical! Keep in mind any mobility issues or other limitations that would affect how well she can enjoy the gift you’re giving.
- Potted plant – instead of cut flowers, a potted plant is something she can enjoy longer and replant into a garden for continued enjoyment.
- Food Delivery Gift Card – convenience is a wonderful gift and often a trip to the grocery store is harder for our senior parents. Be sure it’s a service that prioritizes fresh foods and healthy treats!
- Magazine Subscription – everyone loves to get mail and many of our mother’s love to read. The content can be any of her favorite hobbies!
- Gourmet Tea – It can feel so luxurious to enjoy a cup of gourmet tea but many of our mothers will not treat themselves. There are even monthly tea subscriptions for a gift that keeps on giving!
- Hired help – your mom may find cleaning very satisfying but if it’s taking her longer than usual or she’s in pain after, it may be time for some help with the deep cleaning and she can focus on “straightening up”.
Whatever gift you decide on giving, she will love it because it was from you! Have a very happy Mother’s Day!